I broke down and picked up the doctor perscribed antibiotics and have been taking the Claratin D. That, along with time, has me feeling much better. I hope this is the last of my reporting on injury and illness. It's not very exciting and frankly I'm starting to feel like a crotchety oldtimer who constantly bellyaches about his aches and pains.
Today I went out for a five mile run. As I did a walking warm up to my start feelings of apprehension and self defeating thoughts ran through my head. I found myself expecting something to go wrong. The injury would be reaggravated or I'd feel the lack of energy I'd been experiencing for the past week. I was building up some sort of internal pressure to perform. I reminded myself that this isn't something to be taken too seriously. Running should have an element of fun in it. I then asked myself what the purpose of this run was. Weekend long runs are meant to train the body to run on tired legs and to train the body to burn fuels efficiently. Speedwork is self expanatory. Hill repeats are there to build hill running muscles and improve mental toughness. Sometimes the purpose of a run is to simply get out there and move. I decided that this would be the purpose of today's run. No expectations and an attempt to get out there and enjoy myself.
With that I set out on five miles. The weather was great today. Blue skies and green grasses set the scene. Plenty of squirrel and a few rabbits darted across the trail. There were times when I felt the internal pressure to monitor my performance. I reminded myself of the purpose of the run. A few miles in and I was finally running somewhat relaxed. Some of my best and most enjoyable running comes when I'm in this state. The breathing is easier and the legs and body feel lighter.
With about a half mile to go I hit a small hill that I've dubbed chemo hill. Almost everytime I hit this section I think of my Dad. I gave this section that name when he was undergoing cancer treatment. Usually at this point in my run along this course my pace is increased. Chemo hill is the last incline before the finishline. Back when my Dad was fighting cancer this hill served as a metaphor for what he was going through. It was something hard, but it was something I believed could be conquered. "If he can go through treatment" I would tell myself, then "I could push up this little hill."
I finished my run feeling good. The post run endorpins kicked in and the rest of the day was improved. I should make a better effort to get my training in during the morning.
Below, Leftover Snowshoe Pics

Jen Is a Natural Chain Installer

A View From The Trail

Look Closely And You Can See The Coyote. Click on photo to enlarge

TNT Alumni Conquer The Bear (Jen, Rosemary, Kiley, Liz. Missing is Jeff)Photos courtesy of Liz
No comments:
Post a Comment