Monday, March 23, 2009

Positive Vibrations



Life is one big road with lots of signs
so when your trodding through the ruts don't you complicate your mind
flee from hate, mischief and jealousy
don't bury your thoughts, put your vision to reality

~ Wake Up and Live, Bob Marley

Sophomore year of high school I was getting ready for a football game. I stepped outside to the outdoor basketball courts to put on my shoulder pads when I heard some music that I'd never heard before. The soulful sounds were coming from the student parking lot. Reggae, not exactly the type of music one listens to in preparation for a football game! Nonetheless the song stuck with me.

The next day I inquired to my older brother the name of song and the artist. The singer of the gospel tinged song was Bob Marley and the song was No Woman No Cry from the Live album.

I gathered up what little money I had and asked my Dad to drive me to the now defunct Mobey Disc record store in Pasadena. Dad kindly agreed. Dad scoured the classical record selection and I found the reggae goldmine. My first two reggae tapes were Bob Marley's Live and Burnin'.

It would take some time but eventually Dad grew to like some reggae and I became more open to his classical tastes.

Years of collected amassed more than 400 reggae cds. I don't purchase much new reggae anymore. I think I have enough to keep me going. There's something about this music that hits home for me. As trite as it may sound I use it to inspire and to lift me up when down.

Some think reggae is all about dreadlocks, ganja and good times. While some songs reference these themes the foundation of reggaes message is the idea of uniting people, peace, overcoming obstacles and freedom. It's listened to around the world by all types of people. Freedom fighters played Marley's tunes in the bush during Zimbabwe's war to gain independence from Great Britain. White kids in Beverly Hills can be heard blasting "irie tunes" from their BMW's. A music that evolved from mento, ska, and rocksteady in Jamaica reggae is now international with bands and singers in every corner of the world.

A show on PBS this evening inspired this post. Check out playingforchange.com for some great music from around the world. This is one cd I will be purchasing. Made up of lesser known, but very talented musicians this looks like a keeper.

No comments: