Dinah Shore sang What A Difference A Day Makes. In my case, I'd have to say what a difference a week makes.
This is the first week in awhile where I was free of physical setbacks. As the week progressed each run felt better and I ran stronger.
T - 5 miles trail
W - 5 mile trail
R - 5 mile trail
Saturday - 10 miles with TNT
Sunday - 16 miles on the LD50 course
I parked my car at the PCT trail about 23 miles from Castaic on Lake Hughes Road and hit the trail. The first section from Lake Hughes Road to dirt road 7N05 wound its way up the mountain via the PCT. This will be miles 42.6 to 46.1 on April 18th. I imagined what I may be feeling like at this point of the race and will be happy with a good power hike on this section.
When I arrived at the ridge where the PCT meets road 7N05 I bumped into two guys in an old pickup marking the course. I talked with John and Hughes for about 5 minutes. They offered some good advice and one repeated the comments by my coach. "If you're in marathon shape you can finish a 50 miler. The difference between a marathon and 50miles is a change of perspective."
"Patience", I asked. "Yep", John replied.
My goal with this event is simply to finish. Injury or illness aside the biggest obstacle for my finish are the cutoff times. I expressed that to the two grizzled oltimers and they gave me a vote of confidence that it shouldn't be a problem for me. With that they took off on the dirt road and I continued along the PCT.
From the ridge I backtracked what will be miles 24 to 20 to San Franciscito Canyon Road. I got in some good downhill and tried not to think too much about my return uphill. Being focused on April 18th is going to serve me well. I'll need to do my best to stay in the moment and not think about the miles ahead. The plan as of now is to take it section by section and run from aid station to aid station.
I passed a few others coming up on the downhill and arrived at SF Canyon Road. Here I drank and took a plain GU. Now for the climb back up. There's nothing too steep on this course, but come later in the race I may feel different.
I paced my way back to the ridge and dirt road 7N05 and was able to get in some more downhill back to my car. In this direction the trail will be miles 24 to 28.
A good day of training on the course and I was able to experiment with some new gear. I used my hydration pack for the first time on a long run and tried out my new gaiters that were given to me by mentor Elizabeth. Gaiters attach to the heel and front of the top of the shoe and help in keeping dirt out of the shoe. She bought me a pair from Dirty Girl Gaiters. Dirty Girl makes gaiters with interesting designs. When we're kids our parents tell us not to run with scissors. On Sunday I ran 16 miles with scissors.

Sunday the Spring TEAM had a "Take Your Picture With The Easter Bunny" fundraiser. Looks like teammate Juan had fun wearing the bunny outfit.
No comments:
Post a Comment