Saturday I ran an easy 9 miles with the TEAM and I was advised to rest on Sunday. I did.
Late afternoon today I went to get my taxes done. I returned to a woman who did my taxes a few years ago. Since that time her husband has been diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's disease (ALS).
I went in the room to say hello to discover that the man has lost his speech and has very limited movement. Early in my conversation with the woman she had mentioned that despite his current condition her husband still continues to work and inspire. Mr. Grossi is a former teacher and principal. Since his diagnosis he has received hundereds of letters from former students. Mr. Grossi's wife explained that one student stopped by for a visit recently. She's in her mid-twenties. This former student has cerebal palsy and admitted that she was living her life as a victim of her circumstance. She didn't work and she had dropped out of school. The day after her visit with Mr. Grossi she registered for classes. This is just one story that I heard regarding Mr. Grossi's ability to reach his students.
Despite slow and limited movement in his hands Mr. Grossi has completed a book entitled See The Invisible, Believe in The Impossible, Achieve The Incredible He used to be able to type 180 wpm. To do the same work today takes him an hour..... but he does it.
The book is an autobigraphical piece about Grossi's life and thirty plus years working in education. It is being published by Tate Publications and should be on the shelves or at Amazon in September of this year.
The Grossi's live just above the Rose Bowl so after my taxes I popped down to the trails for my second to last run before the LD50. As I walked my warm up lap I thought of Mr. Grossi and what he and his wife were going through. What resonated with me was HOW they were going through it.... with courage and faith.... and hope. As I was just about to start my six mile run I felt a surge of adrenaline and a profound feeling of gratitude. Slow, fast, whatever, I'm lucky to be able to be outside and run. It was a very nice run. Perhaps it was the lighter training load, but more likely it was the tax lady and her husband who inspired me.
Here's Another Inspiring Guy: Jerry from TNT (training for the Los Angeles Marathon)
2 comments:
I added that to my booklist. Thank you for sharing. Best wishes for your upcoming 50.
You're gonna rock the mountain, Kiley!
Post a Comment