Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The Leona Divide 50 Mile Run 4-18-09

Early morning, November 15th of last year I was sitting at my computer printing some paperwork up for Spring SGV Team in Training's first practice. I was feeling much like I did prior to signing up with Team in Training as a participant back in 2004. I was stagnant, feeling down and in a rut. Out of the blue the idea came to me; "I'm going to run a 50 mile ultra and wrap a fundraising campaign around it for The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society." I needed to shake things up. They say that when down it's always good to focus outside of yourself. With this I could revitalize my running, get the endorphins going and help others out a bit.

I threw my hat over the fence and registered for the Leona Divide 50 miler. Why the LD50? It's close to home. Later I was told that this is a great first timers ultra. I was informed that it is well organized and that the race director and support staff were excellent. It had a great reputation. Some also told me that this is a relatively tame 50 miler. Remember that last statement.

The registration fee was placed in the post and training began. I enlisted the services of Coach "Do or Do Not, There Is No Try" Jimmy Dean Freeman.

Coach Jimmy Freeman and Kiley Akers at Venice Marina Christmas 10K (December 2004)



Jimmy helped me to the start of my first marathon and exploded the myth in my mind that long distances were impossible. I trusted Jimmy to show me the way of the ultra warrior.

Jimmy and his equally inspiring and talented wife Kate came out to one of our SGV TNT practices to conduct a form clinic and to help me set up a training schedule. It was a this practice that I expressed my main concern to Jimmy. "Would 4.5 months be sufficient time to adequately prepare for a 50 mile run?" I was assured that there was plenty of time. With that Jimmy and I hashed out a 50 miler training schedule atop Devil's Gate Dam.



My training would look somewhat similar to a marathon training schedule. The difference for me would be a lack of official speedwork and the addition of an extra long run on the weekend. While speedwork can be included in an ultra plan I decided not even to approach it. I would be happy logging decent runs and getting my miles up without adding that extra component. My goal for LD50 was to cross the finish line.... that's it. The running long two days on the weekend was in place to get my body ready and used to running on tired legs. There would also be step back weeks to let the body recover and rest days before and after long run weekends. unofficial rest days were there too when I was wise enough to listen to the subtle signals my body would sent to back off.

Aside from helping me set up my training schedule Coach Jimmy shared some wisdom from his ultra adventures. "The 50 miler", he said, "is a different animal than the marathon. It's about holding a pace over distance. The 50 is about being patient and letting the course dictate the pace. You have to flexible." i would hear this again later in my training and would discover that patience would serve me well with my training as well.

I've come to learn that the only thing one can count on when training for an endurance event is the unexpected. Things rarely go as planned despite the best of intentions and well thought out schedules. Encounters with winter viruses and a tweak of the vastus medialis sidelined me for a total of three weeks of training. I seriously considered postponing and selecting a 50 miler in May because I felt that I simply would not be ready. I bought into Jimmy's encouragement and belief that there was still time and hopped on the patience train. I purchased a month pass to the Rose Bowl Aquatic Center and ran trails in the pool. With that I gained a renewed appreciation for aquajoggin. if one is focused and doesn't just go through the motions aqaujogging can be an excellent workout! The pool also offered me the opportunity to get to know patience a bit better as extended pool workouts can last a few hours. It can get mundane in there leaving the aquarunner with nothing to do but contemplate chlorine levels and wrinkles on ones pruney fingers.

The good folks at Smith Chiropractic were also instrumental in helping me overcome my injury setback. Treatment and time healed my quad. I spent a fair amount of time on my back getting ultra sound and electro stim. Laying on my back, I often fantasized about carving my name on the wall of the little cubicle ... "Kiley was here". Dr. Smith also introduced me to an inspiring ultra runner named John Raditch. John runs ultras and fund raises for various causes that he is passionate about. John was helpful in that he provided encouragement and insight into the ultra world.

About a month and a half before the LD50 I started making Sunday trips to the actual course to train. This would prove to be extremely beneficial. I became familiar with long stretches of the course as well as trail conditions. I discovered that the course provided little shade and wasn't rocky or rootsy. The most beneficial trip to the course provided a conversation with two guys from the Race Director Crew. I bumped into these guys as they were scouting the course for an alternate section of mileage. A portion of last years course would be closed this year due to USFS maintenance work. I spoke with these two grizzled ultra vets and explained that this was my first foray. I asked for insight. "The main thing is patience," one said. "Keep moving forward. You'll get there." He echoed another idea Jimmy said, "if you are in decent marathon shape you can complete a 50 miler." Hearing those words again boosted my confidence in my ability to accomplish my goal.

In the end my training was very rewarding. I had the opportunity to train in beautiful places. I discover new trails:



I trained in the morning, mid afternoon and at night. I participated in a unique training race,




enjoyed the camaraderie of the trail and revitalized my love for training and running.

Echo Mt.



Ready for and loving the night time run...




As I readied for the starting line I felt a large network of support. This was one of the most special aspect of this adventure. From friends, family, my coaches, my current SGV TEAM, and SGV Alumni flowed positive mojo. Whetehr it was support in terms of dollars for LLS, words of encouragement or the simple act of asking how my training was going the kindness of others helped keep me on my path to the starting line.

PRE-RACE

The evening before the LD50 I was gassing up my car when another patron commented on the Mt. Wilson Trail Race shirt I was wearing. We talked a bit then I noticed his license plate frame. The frame was an AC100 (Angeles Crest 100 mile endurance run)frame. I felt this an open invitation to share with him what I was about to do. I let him know this was my first ultra adventure. "That's a nasty one", he said." "I'll see you there", he continued. "I'll be helping at aid station #1." Sheesh, "nasty"? how's that to hear the night before lining up at the starting line? Didn't I hear months ago that this was a relatively tame 50? One man's nasty is another man's piece of cake so I decided to put that out of my mind and experience for myself.

No sooner did my head hit the pillow when the the alarm clock rang. Up at 2:45 AM to eat and then get on the road. Like the days before the drive to Lake Hughes was filled with excited anticipation. I had no idea what to expect. That being the case I had the rare ability to not be scared. Why be afraid of the unknown? It could be good and perfectly fine. Ignorance was bliss!

I arrived at the Lake Hughes Community Center at 5AM and began to get situated. I mixed electrolyte drink in my car, applied ample bodyglide and re-checked my supplies and drop bag. I asked a veteran looking runner some questions and it came out that this was my first. "I hope you've done a few 50Ks", the guys said. "Nope," I replied. "I did a trail marathon up in Cool ,CA a few years ago and I get some good training in the San Gabriels." With a friendly sincere grin I said that the guy (Jimmy) who convinced me I could do this would be here later if he wanted to talk to him. I got the feeling the guy felt I was breaking the "ultra code" by jumping from the marathon to the 50 miler without doing a handful of 50ks. Somehow I hadn't paid my dues.

The LD50 website stated that the race starts precisely at 6AM website. That's no lie! "10 minutes to the start" bellowed one of the race directors. I continued to get situated and put my drop bag in it collection bin. My drop bag, by the way, had everything but the kitchen sink in it. Like a dad on a family vacation via car I wanted to be prepared. I did make it handy and small enough to make life easy for the aid station volunteers to transport it. Still I felt like an ultra noob.

"Five minutes to the start", I finished pinning my race number to my shorts.



One last gear check.... "Three minutes to go! Get to the starting line", yelled the race director guy. "Kiley!", I heard someone yell my name. It was Kate Martini...there to run her first 50 and qualify for the Angeles Crest 100. Jimmy snapped a quick photo of myself, Kate and Gillome just before the start. I found out later Guillome suffered from car sickness on the way up and endured the entire 50 miles with a sour gut.



A brief prayer to myself before the journey began (taken from my Pop Warner Football days and adapted / The Huddle Prayer):

God Our Father here us pray
As we prepare to run this day
Give us Strength and courage too
To do the best in all we do
protect us as we run this day
This much I ask, in thy name.

As the LD 50 website promised this race starts with the ring of a hammer hitting a saw blade.

CLANG....... Thus began a lifetime rolled up into one day.



FUN:

Miles one to fourteen were a blast. The miles flew by. Runners watched the sun rise over the peaks and enjoyed the early morning camaraderie. Kate and I stuck together for a bit and chatted up our fellow runners. I was just happy to be there, the race underway and hopefully on my way to making my goal a reality. I met many inspirational and fun people along the way. Jack was alos running his first 50 miler although he was hardly new to ultras. A few years back Jack was involved in an accident that left him with a broken neck and vertebrae. After the accident Jack fell into a depression and became inactive. Deciding that this was no way to spend the rest of his life Jack took up participating in multi day trek events. In such events participants participants go for days along the trail and are required to be completely self sufficient save for water, They carry all food and gear on their back. I thought this would be a walk in the park for him, but Jack liked this challenge because it required him to pick up the pace a bit. Jack was a bit of early morning inspiration.

I arrived at aid #1 (8 miles) feeling fit as a fiddle.



Feeling great I gave Jimmy (crewing Kate officially and me unofficially) an enthusiastic high five as i pulled in to grab an orange wedge and adjust my gear. "it's going to be hot today Jimmy warner." "Naw", I thought. The forecast called for temps in the low/mid 70s. """I'll see you after the marathon point.", Jimmy said. With that I happily left aid #1 and made my way up to The Pacific Crest Trail.

Onto the PCT. Ahhh, single track and off of the fire road. I caught up to the end of a pack snaking their way along the gently rolling PCT. "This is awesome", I thought. I arrived at aid #2 and recognized the landscape from previous training. "I'm going to do this today", I thought to myself. I felt a little cocky, but caught myself. "Be humble." There's a saing with these things that goes..."If you feel good in an ultra don't worry.....it will pass."

Back on an out and back fire road section I came up to Catra the Dirt Diva. Catching Catra's side I exclaimed, "Finally, I get to run with greatness!" I know of Catra through her blog and from a few conversations we've had on Runner's World Forums. She's a very inspirational human being having overcome obstacles and adopting a life affirming attitude.

MISERY:

As the miles added up so did the fatigue. I grew more quiet.. By the time I reached aid #4 (mile 25.5) my legs were tired and I developed an uneasiness in my stomach and a haze in my head. The next ten miles would prove the toughest of the day for me.

I arrived at aid #5 (mile 28) glad to see Jimmy Dean. My stomach was sloshy, I was nauseous, my face resembled the Salton Sea, my head was hazy and everything I tried to ingest didn't feel right.




"Jimmy, my lips are tingling. What's going on?" "Dude, you're running 50 miles", Jimmy said. The body does wacky things." Jimmy suggested that my symptoms were a result of me being behing with my electrolyte consumption. I had been taking one Salt Stick capsule every hour. Back at aid #1 Jimmy warned of the heat. I should have heeded his advice and adjusted accordingly. I would have been better off taking one cap every 30 minutes. A kind aid station volunteer dumped cold water on my head and Coach Freeman adjusted my electrolyte plan. I was to take one cap every 20 minutes for an hour then adjust and take one every half hour. With that I left aid #5for the most grueling section of the race. A young woman yelled out, "looking great!" She wasn't a good liar!



The trudge up to aid #6 (mile 32) and 7 (mile 35)was the longest of the day. With minimal shade trail temps crawled up into the mid 80s.



As a small group of us runners snaked up the PCT I could tell others were feeling the pain too. The idea that I wasn't alone in the suffering didn't make things easier. I had covered this section of the PCT in my training before and knew that this section was rough. Knowing I needed fuel I reached for a GU Roctane Gel/ The warm pomegranate flavour and thick consistency made me gag and I wound up spitting the gel out onto the trail. One thing sounded good... an ice cold crisp light beer from the bowels of the Antarctic.

It was on this section that I experienced my greatest sense of self doubt. I had never before experienced these symptoms and that made me anxious. The anxiety prevented me from relaxing and going with the flow. Any self assuredness was gone as I wondered if this would get worse and if I would be forced to stop. I was now thinking of the twenty miles to go instead of sticking with my original plan to run from aid station to aid station. I tried to draw on different things to keep me going. I thought of our honored teammates and how I wanted to finish for them. I thought of the generous people who donated to LLS and I wanted to finish for the. I made half hearted banter with fellow runners on the trail and that helped a bit. One of the reasons I was doing this was to test my emotional, physical, and mental limits. Here it was.... the pop quiz. I thought of the current TEAM I'm helping to coach. They were covering their longest mileage of the season thus far in heat probably ten degrees warmer than what I was experiencing. I'm sure they were done with their 20 miles when I was dealing with what I was dealing with, but the residue of cosmic mojo was still in the air as I simply kept going.

Around one bend a sign appeared that read luau ahead! I arrived at aid station #6 (mile 32) and was greeted with Hawaiian slack guitar tunes, women in island garb and men in halved shelled coconut bras.



The aid station volunteers at the LD50 were amazingly helpful and encouraging! A luau was taking place and I felt like the cooked pig of honor without the luxury of the apple in my mouth. I scanned the table for something tasty, but nothing looked good. I tried a boiled red potato and dipped it in sea salt. No dice. I picked up a peanut butter and honey sandwich square. Two bites and it was in the trash. One of the aid station volunteers presented me with an orange Popsicle. Eureka!!! Delicious, although maybe not the best fuel, it was at least something I could get down. The chairs at the luau looked inviting, but I had enough sense not to take the plunge. If I sat I may not have wanted to get up. Aloha and mahalo to the helpful aid volunteers. I headed back onto the trail towards aid #7 feeling like I had a belly full of heavy poi.

REBOUND

Earlier in the race an ultra veteran told me not to worry, most of the time when one hits a rough spot they can rebound and recover. There is life after the bonk. I was hoping his words were true for me and the nauseous feeling would pass. Eventually it literally did pass.

Around mile 33 I noticed a sensation in my lower digestive track. It dawned on me that I hadn't "taken care of business" that morning. I was already on the run at the 7AM time that normally happens. I asked one of the guys running near me if this could cause distress and he replied with a definite "yes"! he gave me some paper and I found a side spot and imitated a bear in the woods.

Gradually I came back to life. Jimmy's electrolyte adjustment and my trip to the outdoor facilities helped me rebound. I made my way the remaining 2.5 miles to aid #7(35.5 miles) feeling better with each rolling little hill. Here amid the pines, I was greeted by the cheers of TNT alum buddy Sonia. It was a big lift seeing her. I hadn't expected that. She herself made the trek up to the aid station to root Kate and I on. At aid #7 I scanned the table and this time something caught my eye. I ate a piece of watermelon and drank a bit of Sprite. Both tasted good and seemed to sit well. From aid #7 I doubled back and retraced my steps to the Luau aid station which would now be aid #8. I looked forward to another orange Popsicle. With each switchback I grew stronger and I smiled as the Luau came back into view. Aid #8 (mile 38.6)and I now felt like a new man. I was presented with a grape Popsicle and was finally able to get a much needed Gu down. Mahalo and aloha! I was off again on the trail.

The section from aid #8 to aid #9 is almost 4 miles all downhill. My legs felt pretty good to my surprise. The back to back long run weekends paid off! I made good time down this section despite losing a little undigested watermelon pulp on the trail. As I came into view of the #9 Aid (mile 42.6) hoops and hollers I heard. The TNT Glamour Girls were there to cheer Kate and I on. It was great seeing them there and their presence lifted my spirits even higher!

If you enlarge and look closely you can see a big smile on my face as I approach #9





Pulling into the aid station I glanced at my watch. The time was 4:45PM. I beat one of the last cutoffs by 45 minutes. This gave me comfort and I just wanted to sit and have a few minutes fun with my friends who showed up to cheer me on.



Alas, with Coach Jimmy's prodding that the race was not done I got up, high fived my friends and headed down the trail for a reflective 7.4 miles to the finish.

Five minutes into my last climb I caught a woman who whizzed through aid #9 without stopping. She wasn't looking too good when I got to her. She asked if I had any cold water, which I did, and I reluctantly shared. The icewater that I got at aid #9 was tasting mighty fine. She would have been smart to stop for a minute or so at the last aid station and take care of herself. I continued up the switchback to aid aid 10 passing two other runners who were just looking to get it done and finish.

Around a bend and there was aid 10 (mile 46.1). At he last aid station I took one last Gu, refilled with more ice water and joked with aid station volunteers as I tied my purple bandana filled with ice around my neck, "remember Ralph Furley from three's Company? This is my 70's look".

Out of aid 10 there's a half mile climb then it's all downhill to the finish. I looked across the canyon and saw the peak that I came from. The peak where aid station #7 was and where my biggest struggles were. "Whoa", I thought to myself. That's a long ways away.

I hit the downhills and looked at my watch. If I really pushed it and maybe got a bit lucky I could beat 12 hours. I passed another runner and asked if he thought this was possibe. "maybe for you", he said, "but not for me. I'm just looking to finish." I was too but I liked the thought of the 11 hour mark. Some turns and Lake Hughes came into view below. I felt a huge sense of relief and excitement and let out a spontaneous whoop that nobody else heard. Seeing the lake and being alone that late in the race brought about a feeling of peace. I thought of my Dad at that moment and took comfort in knowing he was at peace as well. He was right there with me.

The trail dropped to the canyon floor and there I was one turn from the finish. Late in the race people were still at the finish cheering runners in. A quick left and there was Virginia and Van Garner! Coach Jimmy and Kate (who qualified for the AC 100at 11 hours 42 minutes)were there as well.



Instinct took over and I ran by high fiving people. Just like that it was over. I crossed the finish in 12 hours, four minutes and some odd seconds. A lifetime in a day.



Coach Jimmy came up to me just as excited as I was. "You did it! You just ran 50 friggin' miles...". A few minutes later Jimmy, in typical Jimmy fashion, asked me to sign up for a hundered miler. The race director came over and gave me my medal and congratulated me. Jimmy offered to get me gatorade or something to eat and I told him I was fine. "I just want to stand here", I said. "It just feels good to stand here." "How did I just do that," I asked myself.



Originally I hadn't planned on anyone I know being out on the course. It was a pleasant surprise to have friends there rooting for me and serving as my crew. The day would have been tougher without them and definitely not as enjoyable.

As I write this report I feel extreemly grateful; grateful for all the support I received in terms of life saving dollars donated to LLS, the words of encouragement, the simple asking of how my training was going and just for the fact that I am able to run.

At the finish line Jimmy asked if I would sign up for a 100 miler. I can see myself doing that in the future. In the meantime though, I think I'll heal up and prepare myself for Mt. Disappointment in August. Running long us fun!




Happy Trails,

Kiley

To make a donation that will make a difference in someone's life please go to: http://los.lls.llsevent.org/pledge/index.cfm?mid=KILEYAKERS

7 comments:

Andrea Lust said...

Kiley,

I'm so proud of this achievment for you. What a wonderful accounting. I would say more but I need to get a tissue. You are amazing!

Go team...
Andrea Lust

Virginia said...

Kiley,

You're my hero. Thanks for doing this for me and so many others like me. Your father would be so proud. It was so much fun to cheer you in to the finish line. You rock!

Go TEAM!

Virginia Garner

Janey Jane said...

Kiley! I was so proud and inspired to be there at mile 42 for you! I love when you said "One man's nasty is another man's piece of cake" ... That's a great quote, you should market that =p Great job!

Louis K said...

Good Job. This Sat is my show! A lot more can go wrong... sigh... =P

Cindy said...

Wow! That's amazing and crazy and inspiring...Congratulations!!

JP Mac said...

Kiley,

Great race report.

Outstanding job overcoming the biggest obstacle distance runners face: ourselves.

You rawwwwwk!

R.E.M. Borja said...

Awesome race report! I think reading your entry is as close as I'd want to get to running one of these. Who knows, though? Congratulations on an inspiring accomplishment.