M - Rest
T - 5 miles Rose Bowl Trails / 1 hr aquajog
W - 5.4 miles Echo Mountain
R - 6 miles - Rose Bowl Trails
F - Rest
Sat - 20 miles Rose Bowl trails.
Post Run Ice Bath.
I like to take ice baths after runs over 15 miles (sometimes just by feel) if I can. An ice bath helps reduce swelling in the lower extremities and aids in post run recovery. The ice bath helps to reduces muscle soreness after a long outing. Apparently the ideal temperature for an ice bath is around 52 degrees Fahrenheit. The goal isn't to harvest organs. Everyone has a different method for entry. Here's mine:
The Pour
The Sit
The Stir
Sunday - 15-17 miles (took a wrong turn) ~ Altadena to Henninger Flats, Idlehour Trail to Eaton Canyon, Idlehour Trail Camp, Inspiration Point, Castle Canyon to Echo Mountain, back to Altadena via Sam Merrill Trail. 4100' elevation gain.
This is a loop trail that requires a car shuttle. I needed the extra miles so I didn't ask anyone to help me out with a shuttle. I parked my car at the top of Lake Ave. in Altadena and warmed up with a walk down Lake to Altadena Dr. Once on Altadena Dr. I headed east and and ran to a trail head that dropped me down into Eaton Wash. From there I proceeded up the trail and did the route suggested above. I've covered this trail up to Idlehour camp about 5 years ago and thought I'd be able to find the Idlehour Trail. A wrong turn then some backtracking and I finally found it.
Saw this snake on the trail. Baby rattler? I didn't see a rattle on the end.

Dropping behind Henninger Flats (Forestry Nursery), Eaton Canyon takes on a secluded, wild feel. So close to civilization, but somewhat tough to get to I got the feeling I was in deep wilderness. I didn't bump into anyone else until the end of the journey when I was coming down from Echo.

Idlehour Camp was green. A lot of tall grass as well as plenty of insects. This is tick country this time of year and I for one know the viciousness of the tick. I also saw too much large animal droppings. I witnessed at least 6 loads of similar scat directly on the trail from Henninger to Idlehour and the trail leading out of the camp. Some of it looked pretty fresh which made me nervous.

The section of trail heading out of Eaton Canyon / Idlehour to the Mt Lowe Fire Road was my favorite of the day. Again, this had a "miles away from the city" feel. Some very nice single track here. Some downhill but mostly a gentle, but long 3 mile uphill out from Eaton Canyon's floor. Fortunately there was plenty of shade!

Once on the Mt Lowe Fire Road it's a short bit to Inspiration Point. Inspiration Point was one of the attractions of the Mt' Lowe Railway. The Pavilion was restored / rebuilt in the 1990s I believe.

From Inspiration Point I took the Castle Canyon Trail Down to Echo Mountain. This is a fun 2 mile single track section. I see why this is called Castle Canyon. There are some interesting rock formations along this route.

Once at Echo it was another 2.7 downhill to the Cobb Estates and my car at the top of Lake.

A very enjoyable day to say the least. I got some good climbing in as well as some good downhill. This should serve me well at Leona Divide. Today I practiced running with two hand held water bottles again. I took my hydration backpack too just in case I needed the extra water. I'm glad I did! I also experimented with a new electrolyte / endurance drink; Hammer Perpetuem (Orange Cream flavor). This stuff seems pretty effective and the flavor is surprisingly good!
Fuels / supplements used:
water - about 32 oz
Hammer Perpetuem - 32 oz
1 pack Power Gel Blasts (lemon)
2 Gu Rocktane Gels (blueberry pomegranate)
A few crystallized ginger cubes
Supplements -
3 electrolyte capsules
4 Hammer Anti-Fatigue Caps
4 Hammer Race Cap Supremes
I know the electrolyte caps are useful. As far as the other two they seem to help! It may be the placebo effect. I'm becoming a fan of Hammer Nutrition products.
In hindsight I should have taken in some more solid type foods. I had a few powerbars with me today, but they just didn't seem appealing. I was feeling a definite energy sap when I finished today.
It's taper time!
Happy Trails,
Kiley
No comments:
Post a Comment