Sunday, June 21, 2009

6-21-09 Last weeks training How not Why?

M - Rest
T - 4 Miles Old Mt' Wilson Trail
W - 5 Miles RB Trails
R - 4 Miles RB Trails (informal meet up w/ TEAM)
F - Rest
Sat - 13 Lucky Miles
Sun - 10 Miles

This week turned out to be a step back week. That's a good thing as that what it should have been. I've been gradually building for two weeks and planned on continuing with a bigger weekend capped with a 20 mile run on mountain trails with friends. Saturday afternoon my car crapped out thwarting my Sunday plans. Saturday night I realized that I really should take it easy on Sunday.

Sunday's run took me on trails close to home. Thought about many things on the run and being Father's Day my Dad was on my mind. Feeling disgusted with my car situation I wondered what advice my Dad would give. The car crapped out most likely due to my lack of care and not checking fluids. I may pay big time for this one. This at a time when cash is tight.

I found myself initially asking "why can I decide to take on long races, train with discipline, sacrifice, actually get to the finishline, yet when it comes to other important areas of my life I fall way too short?" Is it even valuable to ask "why"? One can study and dissect their patterns, but does that actually lead to solutions? For me it has not. Perhaps a better approach is to ask "how". How seems to me to be a starting point for action. How can I improve my career? How can I change my living situation? How can I foster better relationships? How can I be more organized and rid my life of clutter?

When you go about setting forth with a training plan the first thing one does is write out a training plan. That's a how thing. You don't spend a lot of time sitting around asking why.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

It's so much more fun to go running than to think about fixing your car :)