Sunday, December 28, 2008

Training Log #1

I love getting out there on holidays.

Thanksgiving Day I ran the north-bound trail of the Rose Bowl. I found a cell phone on the trail. The phone turned out to be a student's who I've subbed for.

On Christmas Day I ran the south-bound trail and low and behold...another cell phone.
Ben answered the phone. It was his Mom's. We met at the Aquatic Center for the exchange.

I'm looking forward to Easter. Maybe I'll find a burlap sack filled with gold coins!

I capped off a good week of training this afternoon with a chicken salad, a trip to pick up my brother's birthday present and an icebath.

This weekend's runs were satisfying. They weren't easy, but the weather, company of the team and scenary were ideal. On Saturday I ran 12 miles with Team in Training. Team in Training is the group I help coach. Participants with Team in Training (TNT for short) are folks who raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. In return for their commitment to raise funds to end blood cancers they are trained and supported to complete an endurance event (triathlons, 100 mile bike rides, half and full marathons). In my case, I work with the half marathon and marathon TEAM. The above description sounds a bit clinical as I re-read.... The people who come to this program inspire. They have made a decision to step outside of the known into the unknown. Most people who come to TNT (Team in Training) have never competed in an endurance event. That takes a lot of guts. Combine that with their efforts to raise money for something positive and you have extraordinary people.

BACK TO MY TRAINING: Sunday (today) I ran 10 miles on the trails surrounding the Rose Bowl and up in The Arroyo Seco. Back to back longish runs are there in my training to train the body and mind to adapt. I need to learn what it feels like to keep moving on tired legs. Today, my legs were tired and there were moments when I questioned why I'm doing this. These dialogues go on in one's mind while training all the time. Actually that may not be true for all, but that's been the case with me. My trick is to pull back and remind myself to take it one training, one mile, one step at a time. It helps. "If you build it....it will come."

Tuesday 12-23 (4 Miles Trails)
Wednesday 12-24 (4 Miles)- deers in the headlamps / nightime run
Thursday 12-25 (4 Miles) - found and returned another cell phone on the trail
Saturday 12-27 (12 Miles) - w/ Team, pushed first 5, felt good
Sunday 12-28 (10 Miles)~saw coyote,beautiful weather, walked around float building at Rose Bowl and sniffed kettle corn, tired legs, ice bath


No comments: