
Left - Fred & his homemade telescope
Dear Family and Friends,
Two years ago my family lost a husband, father, brother, and grandfather to Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. I lost my Dad. He is missed, but I take comfort in knowing that I will carry my Dad’s love in my heart always.
On April 18, 2009 I will be attempt to complete the Leona Divide 50 mile endurance run. Why am I doing this?
1. To honor the memory of the loved ones we have lost and to celebrate life itself. To encourage cancer survivors and those going through treatment to keep moving forward.
2. Because this seems almost impossible. To test and break through my own perceived limitations as to what is physically and mentally possible.
3. To raise awareness and funds for an amazingly helpful and positive organization; The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.
It is not by wind alone that the thistle travels. I need your help. Will you support me in my journey and most importantly donate what you can to help move us one step closer to a cure to blood cancers?
In a time the state of economy can wear on us all, making a commitment to raise $100 dollars for every mile I run ($5000 in total) is one that I have not made lightly. This is because I know for a fact that in addition to being impacted by the high cost of living, people living with blood cancers are being helped by the LLS with these everyday expenses while they endure treatments that have a profound physical, emotional and financial impact.
Make no mistake – the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society has made life-saving strides in research. It is because of the LLS’s funding for research that my friend Virgina Garner is alive today. LLS funded the research for a drug called Gleevec. Virginia takes Gleevec once a day in the form of a pill. She suffers minimal side effect from the drug and enjoys her life running marathons with her husband Van. Gleevec and drugs like it are now used to treat other cancers as well and it’s development and success has heralded a new era in the world of cancer treatment and research
Consider too as the LLS web site notes, “…the many challenges of a blood cancer diagnosis include managing household finances and healthcare insurance…” So in addition to funding life giving research, the funds I generate from my campaign will assist with the Society’s Patient Financial Aid Program and Co-Pay Assistance Program.
100 percent of the funds received for my specific campaign will go directly to LLS to cover research, financial assistance to patients/families, education and overhead for the non-profit. No monies generated will go towards my training, race entry costs, or operation of my fundraising website.
My Dad was the ever exploring scientist. When diagnosed with Non-Hodkins Lymphoma he turned his energy towards building a telescope for his grandson Jack and researching ways to overcome his obstacle. We never gave up hope and neither did he. He took detailed notes in his medical journal and documented his treatments and condition.
His last entry before he passed read:
6AM (11-16-06)
-Flushed intravenous catheter
-Flush w/ normal saline
-Nurse said “eyes look clear”
-*TAKE IT EASY
-Will take several vials of blood
-I have much courage
“I have much courage.” Those words inspire me to take on 50 miles and continue the mission to end blood cancers. Please join me and make a difference in someone else’s life. Let’s turn our energies towards something positive. Donations are tax deductible and can be made via my website or by sending a check made out to The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society to the address below.
With Gratitude,
Kiley Akers
4862 La Canada Blvd.
La Canada, CA 91011
To visit my fundraising website click on the LD 50 banner in the upper right hand corner of my blog
No comments:
Post a Comment