Sunday, April 29, 2007

A Late Afternoon at Chantry Flats


Above / Charley Chantry and his dog Patch

Friday afternoon (4-27-07) I found myself driving up Santa Anita Ave. into the San Gabriel Mountains. I love these mountains that sit in my backyard. There's always something new to be seen. I have yet to see many places in this mountain range, however these peaks and canyons feel like home.

There was no trail running for me today as I just wanted to explore the pack station at Chantry that has been in operation and servicing the cabin dwellers of lower Big Santa Anita Canyon for 70 years.

Chantry flats sits on a bench that was formed thousands of years ago by a mud slide. A huge chunk of earth slid off the side of a hill years ago and now hundreds of hikers and outdoor enthusiasts visit this place on any warm spring weekend.

Chantry got it's name from Charley Chantry years ago as this restelss pioneer looked to start an orchard and homestead on this land. The Forest Homestead Act of 1906 thwarted Chantry's plan and Charley moved down the mountain to Sierra Madre, CA to operate a general store. In his later years Chantry could be seen sitting on the grassy sloping grade high above Big Santa Anita Canyon watching and greeting passing hikers. Charley Chantry passed away at the age of 63 leaving only his name as a legacy to the little mountain flat.

Visit this place if you have a chance.

http://www.adamspackstation.com/store2.html

No comments: