
I went to Doctor Smith today where I discovered that I pulled/strained my vastus medialis. The VM is located along the inned quadriceps. This isn't an overuse injury, but a freak tweak. I think it happened around mile 7 heading downhill from Gould Mesa Camground to Elmer Smith Bridge. Doctor Smith mentioned that it could take 2-3 weeks to completly heal. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but my gut says it will be sooner.
Lying on my back getting electro stimulation on my quad I wondered how this will play our for my April 18th 50 miler. I'm entering the meat and potatoes of my training and I can't afford to miss much more training.
The best choice right now is to focus on what I can do. Tomorrow, I'll hit the gym. If the leg feels up to it I'll use the treadmill. If that isn't in the cards I'll hop on the elliptical and also use the bike (as long as that doesn't aggravate the strain). I'll also do some resistance and core training.
Currently sitting here with an ice pack on my leg. A few more minutes then 20 minutes of moist heat as suggested by Smith. In an hour, I'll repeat.
Tomorrow it's back to work and another round of treatment at Doc Smiths. Keeping my fingers crossed.
No comments:
Post a Comment