Friday, August 07, 2009

Gettin' Near About That Time

Well, here it is about 15 hours till the gun goes off. Today, I'm just taking it easy, sipping on water, nibbling food and getting by gear in order.

What I'll carry on me: 4 gels, 5 individual bags of Endura electrolyte drink, mini-blister kit, 1st aid, a power bar, Hammer Nutrition supplement pills, salt stick pills, a few ginger chews (for upset stomach), a few tylenol. Two hand held water bottles (one H2O/One Endura) All of this fits nicely in a small waist pack and in the pockets of my shorts and hydration hand helds. I'm probably a bit over stocked, but I'd rather have what I want/need than to be out in the sun without it.

What will be in my drop box at mile 21ish: A well wrapped fabric cooler holding two coconut waters and gel. Nothing is tougher to get down for me than warm gu on a hot day so that will be put in the ice as well. I'll also have a few more packets of drink mix, gels and enery bars. I may be hurting at mile 21 so I have some pain rubs in there as well.

AID STAIONS at Miles ,5.7, 10.8, 13.4 (water only), 21.2, 26.2


Tonight: Pack up the car

The plan is to get up and 3:30AM start re-hdrating from sleep (if I get any) and nibbling. I'm hoping to take care of business at this time and empty oput my system so some coffee may be in order.

4:30AM-on the road up Angeles Crest.

5:15AM - Arrive at Mt. Wilson (starting area) - Pick up bib and goodie bag. Apply body glide and sunscreen. Use restroom, nibble and sip. Blister Shield powder in socks. Attach race #164. Double check carry with supplies and drop box supplies. Put drop box supplies in appropriate race director car to be transported to mile 21. Continue nibbling and sipping and use of facilities. Get off my feet!

6:20AMish - Race Director Instructions / National Anthem.

6:30AM- BANG! The gun goes off! 31.5 miles until the finish!

Today I finally feel the exitement that has oddly been missing throughout this training period. It's a good excitement. Ready to go out and give it my best...run from aid station to aid station and be smart!

A safe and successful run to all!

No comments: