Thursday, January 29, 2009

Zombie Running



I've coined a term that describes running when the sun is down and the moon is up; Zombie Running. Actually there's a running store called Zombie Runner. that features a varied selection of items and a nice web page. The actual storefront is in San Louis Obispo, CA I believe. I'll have to pick up a Zombie Runner shirt.

I often enjoy running in the dark. It offers a bit more peace, a bit more quiet, and a bit more of an opportunity to snap an ankle. With the visual landmarks limited Zombie running allows me an easier way to run within myself. Does that make sense? There aren't as many visual cues and this takes some of the pressure off to go fast. It just feels easier. It's me, the ground, and a bubble of light to run in.

Zombie running also provides the zombie with the opportunity to experience more wildlife. During my moonlit ramblings I've come across toad, coyote, owl, deer, mouse, and rabbit. Fortunately I haven't come across bear or cat. Occasionally I'll think too much and imagine a big cat around the next bush. A few loud claps of my hands puts my mind at ease. They are probably more afraid of me. Regardless, I take extra care to not squat down to tie my shoes.

TOAD ON MT WILSON TOLL ROAD (Mt. Wilson Toll Road Toad):


I use two lights while zombie running on trails; one on my head and one around my waist. Originally I used just the high powered one on my head. It was too bright and created a tunnel vision sensation. I had limited peripheral vision in darker spots. I added the second lamp around my waist. The headlamp is pointed further in the distance while the waist lamp is aim at the more immediate trail before me. This is a good combination and disperses enough light to take away the tunnel syndrome.

ZOMBIE APPROACHES:


Tuesday's W/ Morie? No Tuesday w/ Zombie

Great four mile run! Is this for real? I felt fast and smooth on Tuesday night along the trails of the Rose Bowl. This was one of those runs that seems to come along every so ofeten. I was is in a zone...a nice rhythm if you will. When I finished my perscribed mellow Tuesday run felt more like a speed workout. i could feel the lactic acid in my legs and that was nice. I'd like to have this experience more often

Wednesday Zombie Run Henninger Flats via Mt. Wilson Toll Road: 5-6 miles Round Trip 1400 ft elevation gain (powerhike/run)

Gettin' Near Zombie Time on Henninger's:


This is January? How about a bit of Winter weather!? It's been at least 4 years since I've been on this trail and it's changed a bit. Heavy rains of 2005 caused some slides along the trail which have still not been cleared.





On the way down I bumped into a guy wearing a Civil War soldiers cap. His name was Angus and he's from Pennsylvania. He mentioned he goes up there at night to write lyrics and stories. Says it's quiet and he can think. Funny what strangers will tell you. He said he believes he was a soldier in the Civil War in a previous life then proceeds to tell me of his vivid dreams of killing those in gray. He smelled of booze. Interesting guy.

Old Wheel Atop Henninger Flats:


An enjoyable adventure, but not quite sure if I'll train on this trail again for this race. If I do, it will be all the way up to Mt. Wilson for a long 18 miler.

Take #1 - The Moth Scare:


Take #2





Zombie Running (I can see better than what's depicted)


The flats were originally homesteaded by "Captain" William K. Henninger in 1880-81. Much is unknown about "Cap" Henninger except that he was a grizzled veteran of the California Gold Rush days. Henninger was reportedly secretive about his background. Arriving in So Cal in the late 1870's Henniger found this spot that holds his name while searching for minerals in the local mountains. Henninger loved the little flat and eventually built a cabin, cistern and cleared some land for vegetables. Eventually the flat became a "farm in the clouds" as he grew hay, fruit trees, vegetables, and melons. Henninger was described as good natured and full of fun and jokes. Hikers of the day were often entertained with tales of his frontier mining days. Henninger was also reported to be good with his rifle. In later years he was stricken with palsy. Still, it's been said that upon hearing a commotion with his burros he picked up his rifle and dropped a mountain lion 100 yards away. Henninger passed away in March of 1894. His body was carried of the mountain and placed in a San Gabriel churchyard.

In 1895 the Henninger property was sold to The Mt. Wilson Toll Road Company and in 1903 the Flats were leased to the precursor to todays Forest Service for use as an experimental forest nursery. In 1928 Henninger Flats and surrounding slopes were purchased by L.A. County. Currently the area produces 120,000new trees a year. I'm not sure where they fit in, but there's a componenet of LA County Fire that is tied into the area. I'll have to look that up. Today, visitors can camp in the area(actually closed now due to slides in 2005)and enjoy the visitors center.



Thursday - 4 miles South Rose Bowl Trails. Thought I was tired, but all turned out well once I started moving. Sometimes the toughest part is just getting out the door.

Friday = REST for big weekend mileage.

Zombie Trails To Ya

No comments: